Photo courtesy of Steven Eller, ellerdrone.com
In 1946, Bishop Willging purchased a two square block area for church, rectory, school, playground, parking lot, and landscaping. Rev. Joseph Warnat was appointed pastor, and he supervised the work and contributed his artistic talents. The cornerstone was laid January 2,1949. The church seated 400 parishioners and cost $150,000.00. The Shrine of St. Thérèse was named for the principal patroness of the Pueblo Catholic Diocese.
A Brief History
History of the Building
A building fund was started in 1989 to build a new church. It was completed in October, 1994. The old semi-basement church was demolished. The ground plan for the new Shrine of St. Thérèse Church is similar to that of the first St. Peter's built in Rome by Emperor Constantine. The decorative style and motifs are based on the simple beauty found in the home of St. Thérèse in Alencon and in the Carmelite Convent in Lisieux, France.
St. Therese Catholic School's History
In September 1949, a school was opened with 60 students grades first through eighth. The enrollment increased and in 1956, an all-purpose building was built to accommodate the 300 students and 750 families. In 1971, the parochial schools in Pueblo were closed.
In September of 2000 St. Therese Catholic School was opened as a diocesan school